Responsibility and What We Are Doing
ECG is committed to operating on environmentally friendly commercial printing and packaging company. We aim to meet the needs of our customers while continually implementing new technology to reduce our carbon foot print. In today's world, one must focus not solely on the present but also the future. Here at ECG keeping waste to a minimum and recycling is one of our highest priorities.
On each of our 40" 6 color printing presses we primarily use vegetable based inks. Our VOC content is negligible because of the environmentally sensitive processes in place at ECG.
We've even gone as far as installing eco-friendly fluorescent lighting in our factory with motion sensors in our warehouse. In prepress we've implemented the technology to neutralize the ph levels in the plate processing solution so nothing harmful is put back into our environment. Anything that can be recycled we do: metal pallet strapping, shrink-wrap, office recyclables. etc.
The future of Earth and humanity depend on the actions of today and we will continue to be at the forefront. For our dedication and green business practices we've been awarded:
- 2005 Kent Green Business of the Year - Emerald city Graphics achieved 86% recycling rate, recycling 636 tons of material in 2005
- 2008 Kent Green Business Special Recognition - Emerald City Graphics achieved 96% recycling rate in 2008
At Emerald City Graphics, we do our part to recycle all waste. This includes the paper that we run through the press, the cardboard boxes used in shipping and receiving, as well as aluminum plates and many other items.
RECYCLING TOTAL FOR 2010 (Fiscal)
According to Conservatree.com, one ton of uncoated virgin (non-recycled) printing and office paper uses 24 trees. Our recycling total for paper in 2010 was 944 tons, which will save over 22,000 trees.
- have an in-house bailer for paper, cardboard, and plastic film/wrap.
- use reusable plastic pallets (made from recycled plastic) for the presses.
- have a mixed recycling program that's in place for all bottles, cans, paper, and cardboard.
- have a ph neutralizer on our plate processor.
Certifications and Partnerships
FSC® Certified - What is FSC?
The Forest Stewardship Council® is a non-profit organization dedicated to responsible management of our forests. The FSC standards represent the world's strongest system for guiding forestry management toward responsible outcomes.
Only those companies that are FSC certified are able to imprint the FSC label on the FSC certified materials they produce. The standards are stringent and rigorous, but that’s all right. It’s the only planet we’ve got.
To find out more about FSC and printing: FSC Certification
EPA Wastewise Partner - What is EPA Wastewise?
EPA Wastewise is a government sponsored program that helps its partners meet goals to reduce and recycle municipal solid waste and selected industrial wastes. Municipal solid waste includes materials that could end up in an organizations trash, such as:
- Corrugated containers
- Office paper
- Yard trimmings
- Wood Pallets
- Non-hazardous ink
What You Can Do As A Client
- Choose FSC® Certified paper that is also chlorine free for your print jobs. The FSC Certification for responsible forestry practices is growing, with over 365 million acres certified. Source: www.fsc.org
- Use or request recycled paper or one that has a high post consumer percentage instead of virgin paper. According to thedailygreen.com, compared to using virgin wood, paper made with 100% recycled content uses 44% less energy, produces 38% less greenhouse gas emissions, 41% less particulate emissions, 50% less wastewater, 49% less solid waste, and of course 100% less wood.
- Request soy/vegetable based ink with low VOC content. Our printing inks are vegetable based and have lower VOC percentages than industry standards. Even lower VOC inks are available through our shop upon request.
- Reduce, Reuse, and RECYCLE!